Chrome Diopside (Russian) Gemstone
Russian diopside is a chromium-laden form of diopside originating in Siberia where it has been affectionately nicknamed the Russian emerald.
Diopside first surfaced around the 1800s. Its name stems from the Greek word 'di' for two and 'opsis' for vision. Also known as chrome diopside this chromium-rich transparent gemstone of second sight shines in a radiant deep emerald green with a vitreous luster.
Popularity of this gem grew in 1988 as materials begin to surface in Eastern Europe. When dealers saw Russian specimens they remarked how the deep green resembled emerald chrome tourmaline and tsavorite gems. Following the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War Russian diopside became an economical alternative to these coveted and expensive gems.
Russian chrome diopside is typically available in smaller sizes because the color is concentrated in larger gems making them too dark to display their beautiful rich green hue.
• This stone can alleviate aggression and stubbornness facilitates creativity and analysis and may aid in the learning process making it a great resource for students.
• This gem is thought to be a creative stone helping you visualize and manifest your desired goals.
• Chrome diopside can be used to calm and relax your pets.
• Crystal healers use chrome diopside to target trouble with the heart lungs and circulatory system.
Diopside is available from a variety of locations including Russia Pakistan South Africa Austria Brazil Italy North America Sri Lanka and Finland. Shop LC chrome diopside is sourced from Inagli in the remote Sakha region of Eastern Siberia.
• Ranks 5.5 on the Mohs hardness scale.
• Color displays a vibrant emerald green.
• Sourced from the Siberia region of Russia.
• Member of the pyroxene group.
• Also known as chrome diopside chromium diopside or Russian emerald.
• Birthstone for March and Pisces zodiac sign.
• A 100 percent natural stone; no additional treatments.