Kagem Zambian Emerald Gemstone
Kagem Zambian emerald is a highly popular green gemstone. This gorgeous deep green gem can pull higher values carat for carat than the highest quality white diamond.
Emerald a crystal from the beryl family of minerals was among the first gemstones mined in the world. This green goddess typically receives its classic coloring from trace amounts of chromium or vanadium in the stone.
The name emerald originates from the Greek "smaragdos" and the old French "esmeralde" meaning green gemstone. Emerald is associated with Venus the goddess of love. It symbolizes hope and eternal love.
• Before mankind's love affair with diamonds rubies or sapphires began early Egyptians were mining and transforming emeralds at the "Cleopatra Mines " located 400 miles south of Cairo. Egypt held a monopoly on emeralds until the Spanish conquistadors made their way to the new world.
• The Muzo Indian tribe that ruled Colombia before the Spanish invasion considered emeralds sacred objects from gods with special powers of healing protection and fertility. The emerald was a symbol of eternal life and the promise of an abundant harvest. As part of the tribeâ€™s traditions their king covered himself with gold and emerald dust and then swam in Lake Guatavita as an offering to the gods.
• The "Mogul Emerald" found in 1695 measures 217.8 carats and 10 cm. It displays a prayer inscription on one side and floral images on the other. This legendary emerald fetched $2.2 million in a Christie's of London auction in September 2001.
• Emerald has been called the "stone of successful love" and is thought to open and nurture the heart while it revives passion whether for a person a hobby or a career.
• Crystal healers have used this gemstone to treat epilepsy fever headaches allergies and sinusitis. It is also believed to alleviate skin ailments and boost fertility.
Location: Republic of Zambia
As the name suggests Kagem Zambian emerald is sourced from the Kagem mines of the Republic of Zambia in southern Africa. Unearthed in the late 1940s large scale mining for emerald started a decade later. Zambia is one of the major suppliers of superior quality of emeralds in the world. It requires about two million years for minerals to develop into emerald crystals with this color. Shop LC brings Kagem Zambian emeralds directly from the mines and pass the savings to its valued customers.
• Ranks 7.5 to 8 on the Mohs hardness scale.
• Colors range from yellow-green to blue-green including colors like spring green Kelly green mint green forest green and of course emerald green.
• Sourced from the Kagem mines of Zambia.
•Member of the beryl family.
• Birthstone for May.
• Associated with Zodiac signs of Cancer Taurus and Scorpio.
• Traditional gift for 20th 55th and 90th anniversaries.
• Official gemstone for North Carolina