Belgian Teal Fluorite Gemstone
A popular mineral among gemstone collectors fluorite has been called the "most colorful mineral in the world" due to the wide variety of colors available. Teal fluorite is known for its exquisite display of deep blue-green hues that sparkle brilliantly like no other gemstone.
Formerly called fluorspar by early miners the modern name fluorite comes from the Latin "fluo " meaning to flow alluding to its use in steel and aluminum processing. Fluorite is available in various hues and its color range is affected by impurities in the stone and exposure to radiation.
Named the 2013 Stone of the Year by the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show fluorite has become one of the most popular stones due to its wide array of vibrant and brilliant colors. Teal fluorite displays a beautiful range of deep green and blue hues that is perfect for making elegant and stunning jewelry.
Teal fluorite has become a very popular and fashionable gemstone especially for the Asian market. This stone is thought to bring luck and prosperity to those who wear it. It is also known to have a calming effect on the body and soul.
Fluorite easily earns its title of the "most colorful mineral in the world." This mineral comes in a veritable bouquet of brilliant colors including purple blue green yellow colorless brown pink black and reddish orange. Most specimens present a single color but a significant percentage of fluorites display multiple colors arranged in bands or zones that correspond to the shape of fluorite's crystals. The effect is similar to layered crystals which appear to have crystals within crystals in differing colors. One crystal of fluorite can potentially display four or five different color zones or bands creating a color-change effect. Fluorite also glows green to blue-green when heated and fluoresces under ultraviolet light.
• The ancient Egyptians used fluorite to carve statues; the Chinese have used it in carvings for over 300 years.
• Fluorite is believed to enhance intuition by making the link that exists between our human mind and the universal consciousness more transparent.
• The Ancient Romans believed fluorite had potent powers against alcohol and carved drinking mugs from the stone.
• Fluorite is thought to attract and defuse negative vibes. Known as the "Genius Stone" and "the Stone of Discernment " it is sensitive and responsive to the vibrations of other gemstones and can boost intuition.
• Certain cultures also believe that Fluorite tempers too much energy especially emotional and nervous energy and can be used as a meditation stone in revitalizing the body and increasing focus.
• Green fluorite specifically is associated with springtime and renewal. It has been used to identify issues of the heart so that your spirit can begin to mend.
• Fluorite is a valuable source of natural fluoride and in the 18th century it was taken as a medicine crushed into a powder and mixed with water to relieve the symptoms of kidney disease.
Location: Afghanistan and Belgium
Many countries are rich in fluorite including Argentina Austria Canada China England France Germany Mexico Morocco Myanmar Namibia Russia Spain Switzerland and the United States. However the Blue Fluorite is found in limited locations only. The best quality comes from Afghanistan and Belgium from where we have sourced all our teal fluorites.
- Ranks 4 on the Mohs hardness scale.
- Sourced from Afghanistan and Belgium.
- Member of the halide family.
- Also known as fluorspar.
- Birthstone for February.