Indicolite Tourmaline Gemstone
Monte Belo Indicolite also known as blue tourmaline displays a swirling ocean of rich indigo and aqua with color that flows and shifts like a tumultuous sea as you view it from different angles.
Monte Belo indicolite is coveted for its beauty and rarity gaining the highest value for collectors when it shows an intense clear radiant blue reminiscent of premium sapphire. This is a gem that displays pleochroism meaning that it appears different colors when viewed from different angles.
Gemstone specialists refer to indicolite as "indigolith " meaning blue stone. Indicolite gemstones larger than one or two carats are quite valuable and those larger than four or five carats are extremely rare and expensive. These beauties are considered among the rarest of gemstones and also the rarest variety of tourmaline next to Paraiba.
Tourmaline when heated or rubbed creates an electrical charge becoming a magnet that attracts lightweight materials. Almost all tourmaline has been heat treated for color enhancement including indicolite.
Tourmaline is one of the most colorful gemstone groups with varieties in green red blue yellow black and colorless. Some even display two or more colors at once. Rubellite and indicolite are the only two varieties tourmaline with their own individual designation based on their exceptional beauty and rarity.
• Tourmaline's ability to present in a variety of colors inspired the ancient Egyptian legend that this gem traveled over a rainbow gathering its colors during the journey.
• During the 18th century a Dutch scientist claimed that tourmaline wrapped in silk and placed against the cheek would induce sleep in feverish children.
• Indicolite is believed to strengthen communication skills and psychic awareness. It clears negative emotions and opens you up to joy harmony and honesty.
• Indicolite may be helpful in overcoming speech impediments.
• Tourmaline may enhance the sense of smell aiding in the perception of pheromones for an aphrodisiac effect. Also its electrostatic magnetism led many to believe that this stone could attract love.
• Crystal healers use this gem to treat motion sickness headaches migraines sinusitis insomnia and night sweats. It is also thought to restore luster and shine to hair and nails.
Major indicolite deposits have been discovered in Brazil dating back to the 19th century. It is considered one of the finest stones to come from Monte Belo in the Minas Gerais region and has acquired legendary status in the gem world. All Shop LC indicolite is sourced from the Monte Belo mines of Brazil and we are proud to bring this rare gem to our customers at very affordable prices.
• Ranks 7 to 7.5 on the Mohs hardness scale.
• Colors range from dusty indigo blue to aqua with a vitreous luster.
• Chalcedony refers to any form of quartz whose crystals are too small to be seen without high magnification.
• Sourced from Brazil.
• Member of the tourmaline family.
• Also known as aqualite blue tourmaline elbaite indigolite and indigolith.
• Birthstone for October.
• Heat treated for color enhancement.