Catalina Iolite Gemstone
Iolite is the gem-quality form of the mineral species cordierite. The colors of iolite range from dark sapphire blue to light blue-violet. The pleochroic properties of this gem give it a watery appearance and have earned it the nickname "water sapphire."
Fine gem quality samples of the mineral cordierite go by the name iolite but this deep blue gem has been known by many names during the ages.
Iolite was first described in 1809 by French geologist Louis Cordier. The name "iolite" comes from the Greek word for violet. This gem displays strong pleochroism meaning that it appears different colors when viewed from different directions. Because of this this gem was also once called "dichroite " from the Greek for "two-colored rock."
Its pleochroism also earned it the nickname "water sapphire." Like the ocean the color of iolite can appear different shades at different depths. The color of the ocean off on the horizon doesn't look the same as it is does at the shore. Iolite too can seem a deep blue from one angle and nearly colorless from another. A cube cut from iolite will look a violet-blue similar to a sapphire from one side clear as water from the other and a honey yellow from the top. It is important to note that other than its blue color iolite shares no relationship to sapphire.
Because of its hardness and pleochroism iolite can be one of the most difficult stones to cut. It must be cut in a certain direction to take advantage of the best color which can be tough when the shape of the rough doesn't lend itself to cutting in that same direction.
• Iolite is believed to bring order and balance to those who are suffering from disorganization and distraction. It calms the mind and promotes focus.
• This gem activates creativity and lets you access thoughts and ideas that go beyond the ordinary. In meditation it increases the vividness and detail of visions and unlocks intuitive energies.
• In the ancient art of Feng Shui placing iolite in the living room area strengthens family bonds and eases tension or jealousy caused by sibling rivalry or the presence of a new family member.
• Crystal healers use iolite to regulate digestion and enhance hair and nail growth. It is also used to strengthen nerves and treat paralysis and numbness caused by nerve damage.
Iolite deposits are found in Brazil India Madagascar Myanmar Sri Lanka and the USA but when it comes to Catalina iolite Indian sources are the best. Shop LC sources Catalina iolite gemstones from mines in Katamanji India. This area produces beautiful world class iolite gemstones.
- Ranks 7 to 7.5 on the Mohs hardness scale.
- Colors display pleochroic violet-blue.
- Sourced from India.
- Member of the cordierite family.
- Also known as steinheilite cordierite dichroite water sapphire Spanish lazulite and jolite.
- A 100 percent natural stone; no additional treatments.