Northern Lights Mystic Topaz Gemstone
Northern Lights Mystic Topaz displays a stunning and shimmering rainbow effect with vivid mesmerizing colors. This flaming kaleidoscope is considered one of the most beautiful new gemstones introduced during the 20th century.
Topaz is derived from the Greek word "topazion " which stems from the Sanskrit "tapas" meaning fire. This blazing gem has long been associated with the Egyptian island of Topazios now known as St. John's Island found in the Red Sea. While the Old Testament had biblical scriptures referring to topaz their true discovery is pre-historic and without definite dates or places. The first modern-day topaz gems were yellow crystals discovered in 1737 in Germany.
Topaz has a clear luster and perfect cleavage a quality it shares with diamond. It reveals a distinct play of colors. This transparent to translucent gemstone is a silicate mineral of aluminum and fluorine.
The Northern Lights Mystic topaz is produced using a physical vapor deposition (PVD) coating process which is applied to top-quality natural white topaz. The treatment is permanent with normal wear. This process induces an iridescent appearance.
Beaming with brilliance this gem is named in honor of the "northern lights" or Aurora Borealis effect. Mystic topaz made its first appearance in September 1998 at the Hong Kong Jewelry Fair. Since its exhibition at the Tucson Gem Show in 2003 this stunner has seen a dramatic increase in popularity.
• Early Egyptians viewed topaz as the "gem of the sun " believing that the sun god Ra bestowed it with a golden glow.
• Topaz has been used as an amulet to shield one from harm.
• In the middle ages people valued topaz for its healing prowess.
• The ancient Greeks believed topaz boosted physical stamina and helped one avoid detection.
• Romans connected topaz with Jupiter God of the Sun and believed it would correct eyesight.
• The Bible calls topaz one of the "stones of fire" and it was one of 12 gemstones placed in the foundation of the city walls of Jerusalem.
• Topaz is said to stimulate untapped talents and creative ideas.
Topaz has been mined in Brazil Burma Mexico Mozambique Nigeria Russia and Sri Lanka. Shop LC acquires most of its topaz from the mines of Minas Gerais in Brazil a major supplier of this gem.
Mystic stones receive an ultra-thin special reflective coating to bring forth their spectacular rainbow effect. They are available in a variety of colors including: northern lights Neptune garden ecstasy orange mango magic flamingo pink peony pink pure pink. We source this topaz gemstone from Brazilian mines.
• Ranks 8 on the Mohs hardness scale.
• Colors available in all hues including yellow blue green pink red and colorless.
• Sourced primarily from Minas Gerais Brazil.
• Member of the topaz family.
• Birthstone for November. Blue variations can be used as a December birthstone.
• Traditional gift for fourth 19th and 23rd anniversaries.
• Receives special reflective coating to produce rainbow effect.