Ouro Preto Diamond Topaz Gemstone
From the Ouro Preto mines of Brazil this diamond-cut topaz is a clear and brilliant natural beauty with a rich sparkle.
Topaz is from the Greek word "topazion " which stems from the Sanskrit "tapas" meaning fire. This blazing gem has long been associated with the Egyptian island of Topazios now known as St. John's Island found in the Red Sea. While the Old Testament had biblical scriptures referring to topaz their true discovery is pre-historic and without definite dates or places. The first modern-day topaz gems were yellow crystals discovered in 1737 in Germany.
Topaz appears in a variety of colors but colorless topaz is its purest state. Topaz has a clear luster and perfect cleavage a quality it shares with diamond. It reveals a distinct play of colors. This transparent to translucent gemstone is a silicate mineral of aluminum and fluorine.
A 1 680-carat stone set in the Portuguese crown jewels known as the Braganza Diamond is actually a colorless topaz.
• Early Egyptians viewed topaz as the "gem of the sun " believing that the sun god Ra bestowed it with a golden glow.
• Topaz has been used as an amulet to shield one from harm.
• In the middle ages people valued topaz for its healing prowess.
• The ancient Greeks believed topaz boosted physical stamina and helped one avoid detection.
• Romans connected topaz with Jupiter God of the Sun and believed it would correct eyesight.
• The Bible calls topaz one of the "stones of fire" and it was one of 12 gemstones placed in the foundation of the city walls of Jerusalem.
• Topaz is said to stimulate untapped talents and creative ideas.
Topaz has been mined in Brazil Burma Mexico Mozambique Nigeria Russia and Sri Lanka. Shop LC acquires most of its topaz from the mines of Minas Gerais in Brazil a major supplier of this gem. This white topaz stone is sourced from a private collector who amassed an assortment ofstones from the Ouro Preto mines of Minas Gerais Brazil.
• Ranks 8 on the Mohs hardness scale.
• A colorless gem similar to white diamond.
• Sourced primarily from Minas Gerais Brazil.
• Member of the topaz family.
• Birthstone for November. Blue variations can be used as a December birthstone.
• Traditional gift for fourth 19th and 23rd anniversaries.