KANCHANABURI BLUE SAPPHIRE GEMSTONE
If emerald represents the earth's body and ruby is its blood then sapphire must be its soul. The deep inky blue of Kanchanaburi blue sapphire is a captivating pool of splendor for sapphire lovers.
Sapphire along with her sister gemstone ruby belongs to the corundum group of gemstones considered one of the hardest minerals on Earth. The term corundum is thought to originate from the Indian "kauruntaka" or the Sanskrit "kuruvinda." However the name sapphire is from the Latin "sapphirus" meaning blue.
There are different types of sapphire available in the market and most of them have unique qualities pursued by many. A select few sapphires have the ability to display a star-like spectacle referred as asterism. This star can appear in any color but typically occurs in blue black and pink gemstones.
Out of many varieties of sapphire Kanchanaburi sapphires are the best of the translucent blues. While Ceylon sapphires are known for their glittery transparent spread of light cobalt Kanchanaburi stones possess a heavy saturation of inky navy. They often display intense color zoning with outlines being darker in tone. Kanchanaburi sapphires are classified by their color concentration and dim appearance.
• A symbol of nobility or a noble soul sapphire is historically recognized as a gem of monarchs class and affluence.
• Ancient accounts allege that the Ten Commandments were inscribed on tablets of sapphire.
• Early Persians believed that the heaven was a sapphire.
• The explorer Marco Polo mentioned spotting sapphires during voyage to the island of modern-day Sri Lanka in a book recounting his journeys.
• Sapphires are associated with good fortune goodness sacredness knowledge honesty and loyalty.
• The British Crown Jewels features huge sapphires meant to imply an astute ruler with high moral standards.
• In Greek mythology Prometheus the Titan who molded man from clay and gave him the gift of fire was the first to wear sapphire.
• Sapphire is associated with the planet Saturn.
• Star sapphires are called the "Stones of Destiny " and the star visible in the gemstone represents destiny faith and hope.
• Sapphire may guard against injury toxic vibes and evil thoughts.
• Star sapphires aid in meditation and extend mental focus and knowledge.
Disclaimer: Use of any stone or mineral is not a substitute for professional medical care or treatment, and nothing herein constitutes medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Information provided should not be used to treat any illness, injury, medical condition, or ailment without prior consultation with a qualified health professional.
The sleepy province of Kanchanaburi immortalized in "The Bridge Over the River Kwai " rests among the jungle valleys of western Thailand. The Bo Ploi sapphire mines were discovered in 1918 and remain a premier source of blue sapphires today. The miners of Bo Ploi must unearth more than 50 tons of alluvial soil to extract just one carat of sapphire crystals. Sapphires have been heavily mined from the Bo Ploi mines in the last ten years and are approaching depletion.
- Ranks 9.0 on the Mohs hardness scale.
- Color is a dark concentrated blue.
- Sourced from Thailand.
- Member of the corundum family.
- Birthstone for September.
- Traditional gift for 5th and 45th wedding anniversaries.