Featuring soft, rosy, pastel shades, Pink Tourmaline presents a traditionally feminine colored gem.
Pink tourmaline is a pink to a reddish-pink variety of tourmaline. The presence of manganese provides this gemstone is appealing pink and red color. Next to Paraiba tourmaline, pink tourmaline is one of the rarest varieties of tourmaline known today.
It's not uncommon for pink tourmaline to possess inclusions. Frequently, these take the form of gas or liquids trapped within the gemstone. When they occur under the right conditions, they can produce a striking cat's eye effect in the stone. But as long as they don't interfere with the color or polishing of the finished stone these inclusions are considered tolerable and don't affect the value.
Pink Tourmaline vs. Ouro Fino Rubellite
Another famous gem family, corundum, has gemstones that range from soft pink to deep red. In the case of corundum it's the intensity of the color that determines whether a gem is a pink sapphire or a ruby. Likewise, for tourmalines, the lighter pinks are referred to as pink tourmaline while the most intense colors are known as rubellite. The material from Ouro Fino, Brazil, presents examples of this stone with more intense reds, coming close to mirroring ruby in appearance. Pink tourmaline, on the other hand, will offer softer options with its baby pink shades and soft glow. These are easily comparable to fine quality pink sapphire and spinel.
Pink tourmaline makes an excellent option for anyone who prefers a softer color choice in jewelry. If you've been delighted by gems such as rose quartz, pink sapphire, or morganite, this stone makes an easy addition to your collection!
Is Pink Tourmaline a Birthstone?
• Tourmaline is a modern birthstone for the month of October. And Pink Tourmaline makes an excellent choice among the large selection of tourmalines available.
• Pink Tourmaline is not represented on the tropical zodiac, and does not have any affiliation with astrology.
Pink Tourmaline in Crystal Healing
• Pink Tourmaline, alongside green tourmaline, is best considered to work on the heart chakra.
• Also, it's believed that rubellite helps regulate one's metabolism. Crystal healers also suggest that it helps detoxification of the body and stimulates circulation.
• Please note, metaphysical healing information is presented for informational purposes only. This information should not replace the advice of a doctor.
Location: Brazil and Madagascar
When it comes to tourmaline, there are two powerhouses in the trade: Brazil and Madagascar. Both are known for the high quality of material generated from each location. Shop LC sources the majority of our Pink Tourmaline from Minas Gerais, Brazil, with a smaller amount coming from Antananarivo, Madagascar.
- Ranks 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs scale.
- Color presents from light pink to pinkish-red.
- Sourced from Brazil and Madagascar.
- Pink Tourmaline possesses fluid inclusions, making the gems easy to identify.