Color Change Garnet Gemstone
Similar to alexandrite this gemstone exhibits a splendid color-change effect shifting from shades of brown to orange under various light sources.
Bekily color change garnets were discovered in 1990 and are a fairly new addition to the garnet family. These garnets are rare fusion of pyrope and spessartite and contain chromium and vanadium which produce the color change.
It is without cleavage but holds a high refractive index. Acquiring it at sizes larger than one carat is extremely rare.
• The presence of garnet jewelry can be traced as far back as ancient Egyptian Greek and Roman times.
• One of the first 12 tribes of Israel had garnet as its symbol and birthstone.
• Some tribes in Asia molded garnets into bullets believing that they would be more fatal than those made from lead.
• Garnet is believed to protect from evil and misfortune.
The Bekily color change garnet is from Bekily Madagascar. The polychromatic garnet was discovered in the 1990s at the Bekily mines and this garnet exhibits spectacular color transformations similar to those of alexandrite gemstones.
Shop LC only sells 100% natural Bekily garnets. There is no dying or chemical or heat treatment of any kind on the gems.
• Ranks 6.5 to 7 on Mohs hardness scale.
• Ranks 7.5 on the Mohs hardness scale.
• Colors include shades of brown purple orange and crimson under various light sources. It is rare to see them in the color blue.
• Sourced from the Bekily mine in Madagascar.
• Member of the garnet family.
• Birthstone for January (garnet).
• Traditional gift for 2nd and 6th anniversary (garnet).
• 100 percent natural stone; no additional treatments.